Friday, January 16, 2009

My Favorite Movies of 2008


Okay, admittedly I did not get out to the theaters all that much during 2008. I was after all planning a wedding, moving, holding my first legitimate job, traveling etc. That being said, of the movies I saw this year I have compiled a list of my favorite movies.

10. The Happening - Once a year there is inevitably a movie that comes along where you literally have to stop and say, "My god, that was actually made." This year, that film was 'The Happening'. This movie goes far beyond bad. It's like a perfect storm of awful. Clichéd and horrible writing don't even begin to tell the whole convoluted story. The stale acting is so bad it's almost breathtaking. So you may ask why I would put it on this list. Well, honestly, no other movie made me laugh quite as much as this one did.

9. Quantum of Solace - James Bond is back in this action-packed 2008 flick. If you're looking for high art and a deep, thought provoking plot, you've come to the wrong place. Why would you be looking for those things in a Bond movie in the first place? If you want an enjoyable popcorn movie with great action sequences, sharp dialogue and an awesome opening credit sequence, than this is the movie for you.

8. Harold - To be honest, I didn't even know this movie existed until it wound up on Netflix instant watch. But, it's an enjoyable off color comedy that deserves a chance. While I'm not really a fan of Spencer Breslin, his depiction of an outcast teen with early onset male-pattern baldness is hilarious.

7. Yes Man - This movie was a total surprise to me. I went in expecting nothing more than your average Jim Carey comedy, but I ended up really enjoying it. Sure, it's a premise movie. But, it manages to keep the premise fresh and funny. Most of the characters are pretty likeable as well. But, perhaps the best part of this movie is that it's not heavy handed. Most of Carey's most recent work feels the need to hammer home a lesson you already know. While this one certainly has a moral, the screen writer didn't feel the need to beat you over the head with sappy dialogue for the last quarter of the movie. While it certainly has its flaws, it's one you should check out.

6. Pineapple Express - If you didn't like '40 Year Old Virgin' or 'Half-Baked' this one probably isn't for you. In this hilarious take on buddy action movies Seth Rogan and James Franco are at the top of their game as two social rejects that learn to embrace their friendship (and weed). Sure, it’s sophomoric and unsophisticated, but I don't pretend to be anything but that myself.

5. Tropic Thunder - Clearly 2008 was the year of the comedy. Again, this is a flawed movie. It had tremendous potential and only reached it on occasion. However, it is still a success in my book. Rank with satire this movie holds nothing sacred and is an enjoyable way to spend an evening. While some of the actors fall flat (Jack Black) Stiller and Robert Downey Jr. are flawless. The opening fake trailers alone earned it a spot on my favorite list.

4. Iron Man - I'm no fan of the Iron Man comics. I'd much rather read Spiderman or the X-Men. But this movie was awesome. Why? Robert Downey Jr. Yes, the special effects are cool and the plot is pretty good as far as super hero movies go, but the movie reaches another level because of its lead actor. His playful portrayal of playboy Tony Stark is beyond charismatic and almost iconic. I can't remember ever liking a character that much.

3. Quarantine - Everyone knows I am a sucker for zombie movies. I like them all, no matter how bad they are. But a zombie movie that also happens to be good? I'm all over it. Essentially an American duplicate of the Spanish film [REC] this movie ratchets up in intensity with each passing second. It's a roller coaster ride from start to finish. Normally I dislike the handheld 'Cloverfield' type of camera work, but in this film it works. If you're looking for a good horror film, look no further. This is a must watch.

2. W. - Oliver Stone's bio pic of the 43rd President is wonderful. In a sense he goes out of his way to give George W. Bush a fair trial in regards to his failed presidency. He paints him as a tragic figure, unaware of reality and blindly following those around him while trying to trace his path to such a high office. However, what's truly remarkable about this film are its performances. Josh Brolin captures Bush and his mannerisms perfectly while the supporting cast not only looks their roles but nail the characters. Oliver Stone may have been too soft on Bush, but it's still an intriguing glimpse at the man who is about to leave office after nearly destroying this country.

1. The Dark Knight - This movie surpasses its genre. It's far more than a superhero film and much more than an action film. It's technically flawless and benefits from the wonderful performances of Christian Bale and the late Heath Ledger. It tackles philosophical and political questions such as terrorism, domestic surveillance and hope and it is nothing short of a modern masterpiece that will keep you entertained despite its long run time.

Honorable mentions: Hamlet 2, Forgetting Sarah Marshall

(Note: I didn't put Frost/Nixon on this list because it didn't come out until December 25th. That qualifies it for 2009).

1 comment:

Austin Hudson said...

I'm very, very glad you enjoyed 'Yes Man' as much as I did. 'The Happening' was as awesomely terrible as legally permissible and 'Pineapple Express' was excellent too. I basically liked all the movies on your list with the exception of 'Harold', which I haven't seen. I'll definitely Netflix it.

Man, this talk of lists is going to necessitate me writing a list too. Curses!